This import tool can be used to create new and/or update existing data in PlanMill based on a text file with data in columns separated by csv, comma or tabular data. PlanMill Import (self-service) monthly fee covers a usage of default import templates as continuous service.
Existing available templates are defined by PlanMill support in integrations parameters to match a specific order of columns and format of the data in the columns in a text file to map into specific PlanMill objects (accounts, contacts etc.) and their specific fields (account name, business id etc). Defining a new template is billable work.
Any object having API 1.5 end points available is possible to be used in the template mappings.
- Select a template for previewing it. You don't need a file to just preview expected columns in advance.
- Click "Preview template" to see what columns the template expects to be in the file and where it will attempt to input the data in the system.
- Preview shows you the columns in the order (Source rows) that are expected in the file
- TIPS: You can copy-paste the column titles from 'Source rows' to your excel. Remove the column title "#"
- You can also skip the preview by clicking button "Next".
Picture: Import phase 1 - select template and preview it in advance.
- The file with new/updated data needs to be available. Prepare file to import.
- Select the file from your computer.
- Ensure what character is used in your file as columns separator and select the correct Column separator.
- Select File header option according to your file - if you copy-pasted column titles in the preview phase, select then "Yes".
- Click button "Upload".
- Click button "Preview" to see first 5 rows (optional, but recommended, you can change the amount of rows previewed).
- If preview is successful and all data match the file, you will see the top rows of the file. (See picture below: Successful preview shows your data compared with target one)
- Check that listed data looks good and seems to be going to the correct target fields (compare your source rows with target rows and ensure the data match with titles)
- If there are any errors, they show at the bottom of the page. The error message gives a hint how you can fix the problem. Typical error messages are listed at the end of this page.
Picture: Successful preview shows your data compared with target one.
- Click button "Test import". NOTE: Data will not be inserted to PlanMill yet, but a comparison is being done with all the rows in your file and the existing data in PlanMill.
- Check the results at the bottom of the page.
- Note that if any existing objects are found to match the data in your file, the comparison results are shown for the matches and the matching column is highlighted with red color.
Comparison is done before actual import to show any conflicts and amount of new objects. See sample picture below.
- New objects: 8 - means that no existing accounts were able to be found with the data in the file, so 8 new accounts would be created based on the file
- Matches: 1 - means that 1 row in your file matched with 1 or more existing objects (in this case accounts) in PlanMill. Matching objects can be either ignored or updated in next step.
- Multiple matches: 1 - means that 1 row from your file matched with multiple accounts already existing in PlanMill.
Picture: Comparison phase done and analysis is shown.
- Click "Next" and
- Select the option that you want to do with the data from your file (remember the comparison results)
- Click "Import" to do actual import. The data is imported according to your selection
- Import result is shown after import.
Picture: Options before actual import
Picture: Import results are shown after import. In this case only the matched account was updated. New objects were skipped by import.
| Error message
|| What does it mean and how to fix it
| Starting from row 1 the file appears to contain incorrect number of columns.
Expected 28, found 1. Check if column separator parameter should be defined.
| In this error message you have probably uploaded a file where columns are separated with tabs
(tabular character) and you have some other separator character selected in the "Column separator" section.
| Starting from row 1 the file has at least one row with incorrect number of columns. Expected 24, found 17.
Check if column separator parameter should be defined.
| Your file has too few columns. Please preview template again and copy-paste column title from "Source rows".
All columns marked in "Source rows" need to be found in your file also.
|Oops! Something went wrong on the server and the process cannot be completed. Please contact PlanMill support.|